Sports Injury | Sports Medicine | Rheumatologist London



Make an enquiry or appointment

Please contact Dr Stephanie Barrett’s secretary Kate Picon on:

Tel: 020 7730 8508

Please Bring With You

A referral letter from your GP and any scans/X rays you may have with you at every appointment.

GMC No: 2825957

Bupa: 02825957

AXA PPP: SK00674



The London Consulting Rooms
2nd Floor
116 Harley Street


Sports Injury

arthritisHow can a rheumatologist help with a sports injury?

With any sports, there can be stresses and strains on the joints which can lead to swelling and inflammation. Fortunately, there are many sports injuries that a rheumatologist can help to treat. Some of the sports conditions include;

Tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow

Tennis elbow is a condition that occurs when there has been a strain on the muscles and tendons in the forearm. The condition can make it painful to have a full extension of your arm; you may also notice pain when twisting, gripping lifting or bending with your arm.

While tennis elbow usually occurs on the outside of the elbow joint, golfer’s elbow occurs on the inner side of the elbow joint. With both conditions, tiny tears form in the muscles and the tendon. These can then become inflamed making the joint harder to move.

Treatment for tennis elbow can include regular corticosteroid injections to suppress the inflammation. This type of treatment can have a lasting effect of up to six months. Other treatments can include the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). As a last resort, surgery may be recommended to remove the damaged part of the tendon.

Soft tissue problems

While tennis elbow or golfer’s elbow are common sports injuries that a rheumatologist will treat, other sports injuries can lead to soft tissue problems. For most soft tissue problems, a rheumatologist will be able to help. For example, injuries that cause shoulder pain can lead to complex treatment due to the nature of the joint. A rheumatologist may recommend MRI scans to help to understand the exact cause of the pain and where the problem comes from.

If you have a sports injury that is causing joint pain, then booking an appointment with a rheumatologist can help you to understand more about the condition. From there, they will provide the necessary treatment to help.

Do you have questions regarding a sports injury?

If you have any questions about a sports injury or would like to book an appointment with Dr Stephanie Barrett then please get in touch here.