Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms And Treatments - Rheumatology Consultant London | Rheumatologist London | Dr Stephanie Barrett



Make an enquiry or appointment

Please contact Dr Stephanie Barrett’s secretary Kate Picon on:

Tel: 020 7730 8508

Please Bring With You

A referral letter from your GP and any scans/X rays you may have with you at every appointment.

GMC No: 2825957

Bupa: 02825957

AXA PPP: SK00674



The London Consulting Rooms
2nd Floor
116 Harley Street


In the UK alone, more than 400,000 people are affected by rheumatoid arthritis. It is a painful condition and can affect people of all ages. It affects both men and women, but it is much more common in women. Read on to learn more about rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and treatments.

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Rheumatoid arthritis is a condition that is caused by the body’s immune system. The immune system begins to damage joints in the body. Consequently, the damage causes pain and swelling. The damage starts in the outer covering of the joints. I can progress to damaging the bones of the joints as well. If left untreated, then damage can begin to occur in other tissues and organs in the body.

Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms And Treatments

The primary symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are seen in the joints. The joints can become stiff and painful, and there are often signs of swelling redness and warmth. As well as joint pain rheumatoid arthritis can also cause a general lack of energy, high temperatures, loss of appetite and weight loss. In extreme cases, it can cause chest pain.

There are a lot of different treatments available to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Patients usually progress through all the different treatments. The drugs can become less effective over time. Some of the options include DMARDs, biological treatments and JAK inhibitors. As well as drugs designed to treat the condition, there are also lots of pain relief options. 

Finding A Doctor

If you are ready to speak to someone about rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and treatments, then you need a rheumatologist. This is a doctor who specialises in conditions affecting the joints. Dr Stephanie Barrett is a fantastic consultant rheumatologist. You can make an appointment with her today to discuss any concerns you may have.