What Is Vitamin D Deficiency? - Rheumatology Consultant London | Rheumatologist London | Dr Stephanie Barrett



Make an enquiry or appointment

Please contact Dr Stephanie Barrett’s secretary Kate Picon on:

Tel: 020 7730 8508

Please Bring With You

A referral letter from your GP and any scans/X rays you may have with you at every appointment.

GMC No: 2825957

Bupa: 02825957

AXA PPP: SK00674



The London Consulting Rooms
2nd Floor
116 Harley Street


Recent scientific studies indicate that a large number of people don’t get enough vitamin D. If you consistently don’t get enough vitamin D you can suffer from vitamin D deficiency. Read on to find out why you need vitamin D and what the signs of a deficiency are, as well as what you can do about it.

Why do I need vitamin D?

Vitamin D is used by the body to absorb calcium. If you don’t have enough vitamin D then it won’t matter how much calcium you consume, as your body won’t be able to use it.

How do I get vitamin D?

There are three ways to get vitamin D. The first is by being out in the sun. When your skin receives exposure to sunlight it can produce vitamin D. The second way is through your diet. Some foods have good amounts of vitamin D in them — for example, oily fish or fortified foods like milk and cereals. The final way is from supplements.

How much vitamin D do I need?

The amount you need depends on your age and gender. You need between 400 – 800 IU (international units) per day. The amount you need increases with age.

What are the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?

The full effects of vitamin D deficiency are not clear, and this is an area for research. However, it is known that vitamin D deficiency in children causes rickets, and in adults, it can cause osteomalacia. This causes weak bones, bone pain and muscle weakness.

What should I do if I’m concerned?

If you are worried about your vitamin D intake and the effects this might be having on you, then you can talk to a rheumatologist. Why not make an appointment with Dr Stephanie Barrett today? She can speak with you about your concerns and advise you on how best to resolve the issue.