Private Consultant Rheumatologist – What Should You Expect?



Make an enquiry or appointment

Please contact Dr Stephanie Barrett’s secretary Kate Picon on:

Tel: 020 7730 8508

Please Bring With You

A referral letter from your GP and any scans/X rays you may have with you at every appointment.

GMC No: 2825957

Bupa: 02825957

AXA PPP: SK00674



The London Consulting Rooms
2nd Floor
116 Harley Street


If you are suffering from arthritis or other such joint problems then you should consider visiting a Private Consultant Rheumatologist. A Rheumatologist specialises in diseases that cause problems with the joints, muscles and bones as well as those diseases known as rheumatic disease or autoimmune conditions.

What is a Private Consultant Rheumatologist?

They are a highly skilled and expertly trained specialist in dealing with muscle, joint and bone problems that occur as a result of disease. Through their special training, they can create a treatment plan that is tailored to you. Their knowledge and experience enable them to treat you in the most appropriate way. This ensures that you are free of pain or experience reduced pain while ensuring you receive the correct medicines where required.

Where do Private Consultant Rheumatologists Work?

The majority of private Rheumatologists will work I their own private clinic, some of which might be located in their own separate clinic or they might even have their clinic based at their home. Wherever they are located, they still provide the correct level of care and attention you require.

How Do I Find One?

There are a number of ways that you can find a Private Consultant Rheumatologist. The first could be through a referral from your GP or your hospital. The other option is to make direct contact in order to arrange an appointment.

What Questions Will I Be Asked?

Your Private Consultant Rheumatologist will need to ask you a number of questions. This enables them to find out more about the problems you are experiencing. This is your chance to tell them what you are experience and how it is affecting your life. Therefore, you might be asked the following questions:

  • How frequent are the symptoms?

  • What eases your symptoms?

  • What triggers the pain and symptoms?

  • Does any activity lead to pain

  • Where is the pain on your body?

  • How would you rate the pain?

  • Which word describes the pain?

They Will Carry Out a Physical Exam

To identify the problem and obtain more information, the consultant carries out a physical examination. This will include checks over the whole body as well as looking for any signs of inflammation. They will check your pulse, lungs, heart and bowel and press on joints to check for soreness.

Then, depending on the severity of your problem, you might be asked to stretch. This will involve bending, flexing and stretching. Then they will compare the joints from the opposite side of the body. In cases of Rheumatoid Arthritis, they often affect both sides of the body. The exam might be painful but they do need to see you move. However, if you are in pain then you should let them know.

A Private Consultant Rheumatologist is there to help you manage your symptoms. They can help you to lead a normal life where possible. Along with this, they will help you to identify what eases the pain and what triggers the pain, helping you to control it.