Getting arthritis treatment in London is essential if you’re suffering from a wide range of different arthritic conditions.
Your GP may be able to provide you with a certain level of care but specialist arthritis treatment is provided by a consultant rheumatologist can be tailored closely to your needs and will be based on significant research, with the opportunity to try the latest treatments in many instances.
Arthritis Treatment Options
The treatment options available when you visit a specialist are increased. The arthritis treatment London residents and referred patients can access is far reaching and varied, often brand new as well as well-known, tried and tested. The treatment areas include:
For inflammatory arthritis, it is better to begin courses of treatment as soon as possible. There are two main types of drug therapy, those which treat pain and stiffness and those which suppress the inflammatory side of the condition. Drugs for treating the pain and stiffness include:
- Analgesics such as paracetamol are suitable for all types of arthritis
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) reduce stiffness and inflammation as well as reliving pain.
- Steroids are powerful anti-inflammatory agents which can be injected directly into the joints or can be taken in tablet form.
Drugs designed to suppress inflammatory disease include:
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) which treat the underlying arthritic disease and suppress inflammation
- Biological therapies are used when DMARDs have proved ineffective and another treatment method is needed.
Your London arthritis treatment may see your consultant referring you to other health professionals for physical therapies. They can help treat the symptoms of arthritis and improve general mobility and include:
- Occupational therapy which involves practical advice for managing day to day life and selection of special aids and equipment needed to manage joint pain and related fatigue.
- Physiotherapy which is designed to improve your general fitness and muscle strength at a pace when your body can manage without stress or strain.
- Hydrotherapy which allows easier movement due to being based in warm water swimming pool. Your joints can move more freely and be exercised more easily.
Surgical Arthritis Treatment
In some cases surgery may be recommended as the best course of treatment to alleviate the symptoms of your arthritis condition. If a joint is sore enough to cause significant pain in everyday life and no other treatment is working, surgery may be the best option. In some cases, it may be that a joint replacement is the best form of treatment while in other instances keyhole surgery or other less invasive procedures may be possible.
Looking for the right kind of treatment for arthritis requires the help of a professional, an expert in this field. The arthritis treatment London residents can access ensures there are a number of options to alleviate their pain.
Need Arthritis Treatment?
To discuss any arthritis treatments you would like help with please contact Dr Stephanie Barrett on:
Tel: 020 7730 8508