Driving with Arthritis



Make an enquiry or appointment

Please contact Dr Stephanie Barrett’s secretary Kate Picon on:

Tel: 020 7730 8508

Please Bring With You

A referral letter from your GP and any scans/X rays you may have with you at every appointment.

GMC No: 2825957

Bupa: 02825957

AXA PPP: SK00674



The London Consulting Rooms
2nd Floor
116 Harley Street


Driving with arthritisCan I continue driving after an Arthritis Diagnosis?

When you are diagnosed with arthritis many questions may come into your head, both practical and emotional and if you are a vehicle owner, you may be thinking about the future with your car.

Your car may be an invaluable part of your life, it may get you to hospital appointments, ensure you get to work on time and for many other parts of your life.

After your diagnosis you may be wondering whether you will be able to keep your car and whether you will actually be able to drive it for much longer.

Legal Obligations

If you have a current driving license and are diagnosed with arthritis and the illness does affect your driving and has been going on for more than three months you are obliged to inform the Drivers Medical Group at the DVLA.

If you have arthritis and have yet to learn to drive, you can apply for a provisional licence but you must declare your condition. You will have to pass the same driving test to get your full licence but you may be allowed a little extra time.

It is very rare and very unlikely that a person diagnosed with arthritis will be made to take another driving test but you may find that your licence is issued for a shorter period or there may be a requirement to adapt your car with special controls. In the worst case scenario your doctor may tell you to stop driving because of your condition and then you must surrender your licence to the DVLA.

The changes can be difficult to adapt to but your safety and that of other road users does need to come first.

Driving Alternatives for People with Arthritis

If you no longer have access to your car or choose not to use it anymore then you could opt for an outdoor electronic vehicle instead. These scoots and mobility vehicles o not require a driving licence, do not need to be road taxed and they can be driven on the payment.

They can be bought with Mobility Allowance if you receive any and with the help of a doctor or occupational therapist you should be able to ensure you get a model that suits your needs.

Make an appointment to discuss your arthritis

If you have any questions about arthritis or would like to book an appointment with Dr Stephanie Barrett then please get in touch here.